This program, managed and funded by the Florida Department of Transportation, serves to provide training for Florida’s public transit operator trainers a state approved certificate and training curriculum. There are seven courses which have been designated as requirements for successful certificate completion. They are:
- Instructor’s Course for Transit Trainers (TSI FT00562)
- Fatigue Awareness and Sleep Apnea Awareness for Transit Employees (TSI FT00588)1
- Curbing Transit Employee Distracted Driving (TSI FT00555)1
- Curbing Transit Operator Distracted Driving (FDOT)
- Managing for Performance-Safety, Customer Service, Conflict and Work Ethic: A Guide for Transit Operator Trainers
- Rule Chapter 14-90, Florida Administrative Code: A Review for You – A Course for Bus Transit Drivers
- The Art of Defusing Conflict: De-Escalation Techniques for Transit Operators (FDOT)
Each trainer who successfully completes the criteria is awarded a Certificate of Completion though the program from the Florida Department of Transportation. An training schedule is developed annually for trainers who wish to pursue the voluntary state certificate regionally.
In addition to funding the training offered through the program, the Florida Department of Transportation’s program also reimburses Florida’s public transit agency participants for travel (state of Florida regulations on travel) through USF. This travel reimbursement subsidy has been instrumental in making the program a success because very few costs are passed on to the transit agencies.
1This course is computer based training offered by the USDOT’s Transportation Safety Institute (TSI). In order to complete these courses you must register directly with TSI.